Quality by design (QbD) in pharmaceutical development
Quality by Design lies at the very heart of modern pharmaceutical development. The implementation of QbD principles provides a cost-effective approach to delivering high quality medicines to patients. Regulatory authorities, such as the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), are placing increasing focus on the QbD component as a part of regulatory filing. As such, QbD has become a crucial element in a streamlined drug development process.
This course will provide you with insight into the key principles of Quality by Design including quality risk management, formal experimental design, process analytical technology (PAT) and related data science. Leading QbD experts from industry, from the regulatory side and from the academic world will acquaint you with the current knowledge on QbD and offer ideas about how this knowledge can be applied in your company. The course includes practical demonstrations.
Excellent course, will recommend to other colleague
Course director on Quality by design
Course details concerning Quality by design
Key benefits - learn the key principles of Quality by Design
After the course, you will be able to:
- Summarize the principles of the QbD approach in pharmaceutical development and manufacturing
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of risk management, Design of Experiments (DoE) and Process Analytical Technology (PAT)
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of how the QbD approach can be applied in design space and further in the regulatory framework
- Apply basic risk analysis and experiment with design techniques using practical case studies
- Identify and suggest suitable process analytical tools for a given manufacturing environment
- Work in a multidisciplinary risk management team
- Plan and implement a basic DoE approach
- Suggest a QbD approach for constructing a design space
Course content - Quality by Design in theory and practice
The course will introduce the underlying principles and tools required for QbD-based pharmaceutical development and manufacturing:
- Basic risk analysis techniques
- Constructing the Quality Target Product Profile (QTPP)
- Identification of Critical Quality Attributes (CQAs) and Critical Process Parameters (CPPs)
- Design of Experiments (DoE): Basic screening designs and expanded designs
- Process Analytical Technologies (PAT): Basic principles of multivariate data analysis (chemometrics), looking at examples of process measurements applied to both small molecules and biopharmaceuticals, and for batch and continuously operating processes
- Data science: Overview of the existing methods for exploring pharmaceutically relevant data with methods ranging from classical statistical approaches to machine learning
- Risk-based regulatory framework
The course is intended as Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for professionals in the pharmaceutical industry, particularly in production, regulatory affairs and quality functions. The course serves as an excellent introduction for those less familiar with QbD, while participants who have more experience with QbD will gain new insight into how to further implement the company’s QbD programme.
The course is preapproved as an elective in the Master of Industrial Drug Development (MIND) programme and the Master of Medicines Regulatory Affairs (MRA) programme. It has been developed in co-operation with the Steering Committee of the EUFEPS QbD and PAT Sciences Network (EUFEPS, European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences).
- Hold a relevant bachelor degree or equivalent
- Have a minimum of 2 years of relevant job experience
- Be proficient at English
Dates and Examination
This is a 5-day course that runs in the period 14-18 August 2023 from approx. 09:00-16:30.
- An optional examination is available, worth 3 ECTS credits at Master’s level.
- This takes the form of an essay, based on a comprehensive literature list.
- The course has been preapproved as an elective in the MIND and MRA programmes at the University of Copenhagen.
- The exam is obligatory for Master’s students.
Dates for examination can be found in the exam schedule.
You may find relevant information about the exam in the course curriculum
University of Copenhagen
South Campus, Faculty of Law
DK-2300 København S
Copenhagen Summer University
+45 3533 3423
Time and Date
14-18 August 2023
I really enjoyed the setting, flow and pace of the course. It allowed time for reading, lectures, group work, discussion and reflecting. There were several very practical take always from this week, and also key points to further investigate and reflect on. I think it gives a very good understating of the topic of QbD and how to and use these application in development work.
Very innovative and well organized